Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2009

Emergency IT Lesson 1: Figurative Language

poem - I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

1. I wandered lonely as a cloud
-> This line show the usage of metaphor. It represents a human using clouds, describing it to be alike as the clouds in the sky, lonely.
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

2. Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
-> This line show usage of personification
And then my heart with pleasure fills,

3. And dances with the daffodils.
-> This line also show usage of personification. It represents action a human does, like for example, dancing.

4. And then my heart with pleasure fills
-> This line show usage of smaile. The heart with pleasure fills. It shows that the person is happy .

Even though this poem does not really make good use of figurative language, but I still like this poem a lot. To me, the poem seems meaningful. It fully described the feeling of a person who is lonely. It does make reader interested to read on, slowly, it will make the reader have a feel of it. Maybe, some might not get the gist of what I am saying, but slowly, you read through again and again, the feeling will come to you and you will like this poem a lot! Thus, I like this poem as the feeling, the meaning of the poem is demonstrated.

No comments: