Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2009

6. Is progress necessarily beneficial for society? Comment. [You can cite evidence from VBTS to support your argument]

Firstly, before I start, I think that the key word here is ‘beneficial’. To me, it means benefiting people the most. So what do you think benefits people more? Having more knowledge, a more technology advanced place for people or a place where people can make a living by planting crops fishing etc.

Secondly, I will like to point out another term ‘Industrialization’. To me, I think that it is related progress. ‘Industrialization’ means to adapt a country or group to industrial methods of production and manufacturing, with all the accompanying social changes, or to be adapted in this way. So if a country progress, the people will have to adapt.

Okay, let me make my stand first. I don’t think that progress is necessarily beneficial for society.

I will use the story ‘village by the sea’ as reference. In Village by the sea, a factory is going to be built somewhere near Hari’s village. I will take this as progressing. It takes up space, whereas it will take up the space for people to plant their crops and make a living there. Yes, I understand it will benefit some people who will be working in the factory in future. But what about those in the village? Have you ever spare a thought for them?

People in the village have very low education level, thus, they can only make a living by doing things that requires sweat, hard work, instead of working in a factory with advanced technology. They will not know how to operate it, thus they will not be employed and jobless. This will results in starvation due to the lack of money to support themselves and their family. So do you think this is beneficial for this people? They are also part of the society. I know building school, educate them to raise their literacy level will work, but the problem is if they have the money to go school? And moreover who will plant the crops in the future?

Thus, I will like to conclude that progress is not necessarily beneficial for society.

Feel free to comment if you disagree or agree with me. Anyway, thank you for reading and I will appreciate a lot if you could leave your valuable comment. Thanks!

1 comment:

Thomson said...

I agree with u!
Nice blog!