Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Linguistic

Imagine you are one of the characters. Deliver a speech on what you think of the above question.

Is Maycomb a good place to live in?

Character - Tom Robinson

Maycomb is definitely not a good place to live! In Maycomb, there are no justice, no rightness, no equalities. This is worse than living. We, the black, have no right to speak. We have no right to complain And we have no right to decide our fate. We suffer under the whites. We were discriminated by the whites. We were bullied by the whites but we have no right to say a single word. We can only suffer. Maybe this is our fate.

I was accused of raping Mayella Ewell. I am handicap person. One of my hands is disabled, and I could still rape a thick-bodied girl. What a ridiculous joke is that. And that jury, believed Mayella Ewell. He believed that I could grab Mayella Ewell and slap her at the same time. He must be pulling my legs. No justice was given to me. No rightness was seen. I was sentenced death. It is because I am a black. It is because of the prejudice between the white and black. The black has always been discriminated by the whites. So what if I am a black? Am I not a human being to them?

But I must thank a person. A person who stand for me. A person full of courage. He is non other than Atticus Finch. He is a white, but he stood up for me. He did not really care whether am I a black or white. What he only cares is rightness and justice. He stood up for me in the trial in front of the whites and blacks, and took up a lot of courage to give speech which really spoken off what we blacks have been thinking. I know he tried his very best to protect me. But its Maycomb. The prejudice between the white and black still exist Whether Atticus gave his speech or not, it changes nothing. I am bound to be sentenced death.

Maycomb, we might have such courageous, such good person like Atticus, but how many Atticus does Maycomb has? How many whites does Maycomb has? We the black can only wait, and wait, hoping that one day that equalities and justice will be seen one day. But when will this day come? I think it only comes when we leave Maycomb and seek for a better place .

No comments: