Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Floods @ Orchard Road



Hello readers. Today after my training, I went to Plaza Sing with my friends to catch a movie. But my post today will not be on the movie, instead the ‘famous’ Orchard flood.

When I was on the bus, making my way to Plaza Sing, I realized that I saw a lot of police officers, traffic police around the streets of Orchard road. Then I saw some parts flooding. So I was thinking, it must be that orchard road is flooding.

Then, when I read the news from this link - http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_541057.html , I realized that it my prediction was correct. For more information of the flood, please read from the link.

Amazing isn’t it, Singapore’s famous city flooded! It may look as if nothing, people may think that it is just a flood, nothing much, after the flood is cleared everything will be fine. But my concern here is that will the flood affect the image of Singapore’s famous city? Will it affect tourism? And does it affect people, especially those that are working there?

Well, personally I feel that this flood is a very ‘hot’ topic among many people. Many people are already discussing why is there a flood when it is known to be a city of the country. Even my friends are talking on it on Facebook. The cause of the flood is still not known yet as it is still being investigated. Even though the amount of rainfall is approximately more than 60 per cent of the average monthly rainfall for June, but what I feel that the drainage system at Orchard Road should be world class, and floods should not take place there as that location is known to be the city of Singapore. A city is very important to a country as it more or less portrays the image of the country. I believe that this flood leaves a bad impression of Singapore among many people, and so will it affect tourism?

I feel that it will not affect tourism very greatly, but just that the flood becomes a very ‘hot’ topic among many, especially those who had came to Singapore before. But it affects the people greatly, especially those working there! I believe that many who are at Orchard Road are badly drenched, even those in vehicles! It really turns the mood down there.

All in all, I hope that such floods will not happen again anywhere, especially Orchard Road as it is the City of Singapore, and hope that the government will improve, or rather upgrade the drainage system :D

Any comments or suggestion to share? Simply do so by commenting!

No comments: